While I’m busy thinking about how to start my professional life (thinking first, then doing later – or maybe soon), I was asked by my brother to help him out in his business and find a programmer to create a system for their company.
I’ve got some friends refer someone they know that can do the job, and I’ve also gone online to see who can provide the service, and now I have quite a handful of application in my hands. While I had my stint working part-time before, now I need help in choosing which one can best suit the job.
We had a discussion this morning and these are the things he wanted done. While they seem difficult at first, I know it’s a challenge that I can do.
- Samples – Ask the applicants to submit samples of their previous work so you can gauge their skill. While this is just the initial process, it is best not to disqualify yet other candidates. Some may have impressive samples or programs, but later you may find out they weren’t the only ones who worked on it. And while some samples may be ‘just right’, they might have some of the other qualities and skills we’re looking for.
- Interview, tests, application process – Further into the application process, ask the applicants to undergo interviews. You’ll see how they’re able to communicate and grasp information and instruction. You’ll see their attitude and how they have succeeded or failed before. Similar with regular employment, we have to know whether they can keep up with the demands of the job.
- Availability – Confirm with the applicant his available hours for work to ensure that he can meet all of his deadlines. While some freelancers handle just one projects and other have multiple project in their hands, get a commitment that this job is no second priority to their other jobs. Also discuss if regular meetings and communication is needed to check on the progress of the project. Set-up a weekly or bi-weekly discussion to monitor and assess the project. This can either be through actual meetings, phone, or online discussion.
- Terms – Discuss with your prospective employee the terms of service or service agreement. This should also include post-completion services that might include for example, tweaking of a certain feature or program in the software. Discuss the rate, the possibility of engaging in another project, confidentiality clauses and proprietary rights. It should be clear that while there is no employer-employee relationship, there should still be some level of protection for both parties.
Seems effective and logical – now, I just got to call some of them to let them know how things will go. While some have their resumes and portfolios seem pretty impressive (and some photos look really handsome too), this is serious business, finding that right person to do the job. Even if it’s a regular and permanent employment, we have to get what we paid for. I hope I’d be able to find someone who’s really disciplined, determined and self-motivated to help on my brother’s business.

0 comments