Choosing Between Full-Time or Part-Time Work

Apr 6, 2010
full-time work or part-time work
In this sunny state, I wish my mood is as sunny. Living independently here in California, I can feel that my credit card is hurting a little bit. I miss work too, but I am not quite sure whether I would go full-time or part-time. Maybe I can say that at this point, I am still undecided which career path to take.

I thought, just like any other self-respecting and mature adult, I’d list down the pro’s and con’s whether I’d work full-time or part-time.

Full-Time Work Pros
  • Tenure – There is some sort of job security with full-time work. Once you have gained regular employment, your employer cannot just terminate your employment – it has to undergo due process and if it is done wrongfully, you can file for appeal to get back your regular job.
  • Steady paycheck – Because of regular working hours, you get to enjoy regular paycheck.
  • Experience – With regular exposure in your chosen field, you can learn a lot and gain experience on the challenges and issues at your work.
  • Benefits – Employers give benefits to full-time employees such as paid leaves, allowances, bonuses, among others. Some even provide educational assistance to their full-time regular employees.
Full-Time Work Cons
  • Politics and stress – Reporting to work for 8 hours a day, every single day of the week can really take a toll. Better if its 8 hours, but at times, overtime work can’t be avoided. Politics and gossip can affect not just your career success like promotion, but can affect your personal life as well.
  • Work schedule – Attendance is monitored. Tardiness and absences are not tolerated and are subject to deductions and/or sanctions.
Part-Time Work Pros
  • Work schedule – The time you need to work can be flexible and you can choose days where you can work a lot less or more than the standard hours – especially if you have personal errands to attend to.
  • Experience – Because you can get work in varied industries (like part-time programming work in the banking industry at one time, and in sales industry at another), you get to learn a lot and get a lot of personal and professional contacts.
  • Increasing pay – While it’s not steady work, getting an increase from one work to another is possible because salary is open for negotiation.
Part-Time Work Cons
  • Getting projects/clients –When one part-time project ends or when peak season is over, so goes your part-time work as well.
  • Benefits – No paid leaves, no health benefits, no company parties (the good ones though), and no allowances or incentives.
  • Tenure – There is no guaranteed tenure for part-time work. Unlike in full-time regular work, you can even file for a case if you have been wrongfully terminated. While part-time jobs may have similar binding contracts, at most cases it is openly stated that your employment may be terminated at any time for any appropriate grounds.
At this point, they both seem favorable. I wish I can make up my mind – fast. Or maybe even do both.

0 comments

Post a Comment

Share My Blog

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Content Development Section

Powered by Blogger | Entries (RSS) | Comments (RSS) | Designed by MB Web Design | XML Coded By Cahayabiru.com