Adulthood and independence are such big words that I have no choice but to face now (or maybe just act it up).
Another option I am considering is to set-up my own business. My brother has his own biz, and I know it takes so much more than just having financial investment and a lot of maturity (which I still have to check if I have both). While getting a job may be challenging (and I still have to figure out whether I’d work full time or part time on different jobs), what I do know is that going solo on a business has its own perks.
The Good
Being your own boss will really change your perspective. You will be more disciplined, and there are no chances that you’d be scolded for being late or for missing a deadline (if you’re not being so hard on yourself). You are free to implement any ideas you think might help without seeking approval of others or how you want it implemented and when.
The financial gain will also be rewarding. Because you are not limited to a steady paycheck where taxes, loans, and absences are deducted from your salary which is subject to increase – well, depending on company policy or whether the boss likes you or not. (See, it’s really good to be your own boss – give yourself a raise anytime).
Social and professional contacts will deal with you directly. It’s always good to get your clout on almost any industry to get yourself good long-lasting mutually beneficial relationships.
Handling financial matters may also improve. Having your own business means creditors may be able to understand your needs better and see how they can profit from your business as well. When you have good records, it’s easy to get loans that can get your business, and you, better ahead.
The Bad
Business failure is inevitable. Every business owner is at risk every single day of operation to any factor that leads to failure if you don’t treat it with caution. One mistake, may it be a financial decision, marketing stints, customer service delivery or product malfunction (Toyota, anyone?) can really send any company spiraling down. No matter how experienced managers or executives are, the economy and customers can simply favor a competitor anytime, and your business is gone.
Being your own boss may also mean working longer hours by being both the boss and the employee. As you are ultimately responsible for every aspect of the business, you will sometimes work being the marketer, the accountant, the customer service agent, and maybe at times, you will also be the delivery man.
While you’re not glued to a fixed salary, there may be weeks or months that your business will not earn as much because it’s just not the ‘peak season’ for your company.
The Ugly
And after all these insights and information, I am still undecided. Making this life-changing decision can’t be made in a whim. Right now, I think I’d have to look at the listing above again and analyze and study the risk (might as well start thinking as a businesswoman now).

0 comments